Skrevet av Emne: What is Jeet Kune Do? Finally, the Answer!  (Lest 1053 ganger)

Utlogget Leif T. Røbekk

• Litt godt kjent
  • Honnør: 13
  • Utlogget Utlogget

What is Jeet Kune Do? Finally, the Answer!
« : 06. juli 2007, 11:58 »
What is Jeet Kune Do?  Finally, the Answer!
By Steve Golden

As it’s been stated, there are many opinions on what JKD is and what it is not. So, instead of adding my opinion to the long list of opinions, I’ll leave my opinion out of this and just tell you what JKD really is. (My wife read that and said I sounded conceited and obnoxious. She may be right but moving right along…)

JKD is a method or methods based on sound and provable principles. What Bruce Lee did was pull together principles and truths that have been around for hundreds or thousands of years. He then used them “his way” to make a combat system that used universal truths in a way that best fit his skills and personality. That is Bruce Lee’s expression of JKD.

The information that Bruce Lee gathered, documented and left in his notes gives us hints on how to put those truths and principles together into a usable and effective method for our own use. When that is done, JKD becomes your own personal use and expression of those principles. JKD is alive and well in each of us when we follow these principles of combat. That does NOT mean that we must execute those principles in the same way that Bruce Lee did. It also doesn’t mean that we can’t do it the way he did. The beauty of JKD is that it gives you the tools and lets you build what you personally need to gain effectiveness and excellence.

So, is it JKD if you deviate from these principles? Maybe. It’s very important to understand that the principles are not laws. They are guidelines. There are times when you should break the “rules” because the situation dictates it. But you should also know and understand the implications of doing so. Do I stand strong side forward? Sometimes. Do I use the “Bi Jong” stance? Rarely. Am I doing JKD? Hmmm? I’m not sure I can answer that one. But, am I using the principles that Bruce Lee assemble? You bet I am! Does it work? Of course it does.

I’ve asked people and I’ve also been asked to define JKD. If you make the mistake of defining it you have destroyed its very spirit. That’s because any definition is restrictive. It forces the method into artificial bounds and structures. If you want to understand JKD, then understand its principles but don’t be bound by them. My description, not definition, of JKD should give you the spirit of JKD but not lock it into restrictive bounds.

Personally, I do not like using the term JKD because of the restrictions the term generates. I do say JKD, just as I have here, but that’s only a matter of convenience so we know what subject we’re discussing.

Steve Golden
Orginal elev av Bruce Lee

Gå til:  

Disse kosttilskuddene er glemt for mange, men som alle bør ta.

5 digge middager med cottage cheese

Kosthold09.08.2021270

Cottage cheese er blitt en svært populær matvare!
Det er en risiko forbundet med treningen og løftene man utfører
Det finnes så mange gode varianter av middagskaker enn bare karbonadekaker.

5 fordeler med stående leggpress

Trening28.06.202153

Det er mange fordeler med å trene leggene dine. Se her!